École catholique Pierre-Savard Addition & Aterations 2008, Phase II
Location: 1110 Longfields Drive, Ottawa, ON
Completed: September 2009
Area: 55,000 sq.ft.
Due to increasing student population in the Ottawa suburb of Barrhaven, the French Catholic School Board constructed a large two storey addition and alteration to an existing elementary school ,which posed many challenges, into a secondary school for grade 7 and 8 students. The site was restricted with an occupied school and yard on one side, and a deep storm drainage ditch on the other.
- The school has energy efficient mechanical and electrical systems with smart technology for lighting sensors, electronic chalkboards, etc.
- The addition includes 8 classrooms, 5 science laboratories, computer room, special education room, orientation room with 5 offices, chapel, gymnasium, library, cafeteria and kitchen, and a large two storey atrium.
- Classrooms were transformed into music rooms, computer room, library, locker room and administration area.
- Alteration to the reception area commenced after addition complete.
- The frame is structural steel with a flat roof, and large linear skylight.
- The exterior walls are framed in wind bearing steel studs and clad in masonry veneer.
- Large areas of the curtainwall were included in the design, especially at the circular library and cafeteria.