Montfort Elementary School
Location: 350 Den Haag Drive, Ottawa, ON
Completed: June 11 2009
Area: 57,000 sq.ft.
This project was situated in the heart of Ottawa’s near east end, in close proximity to hospitals, parkland, residential areas, universities, and government buildings.
The five-acre site was completely redeveloped for a new 2-storey elementary school.
- Included were parking, play grounds, daycare areas, playing fields, as well as a wooded corner.
- The school is a steel frame with infill steel stud and drywall exterior walls, covered in a brick veneer.
- Foundations are concrete, and shear walls are constructed of both masonry and steel.
- The roof is a flat steel structure, with a modified bituminous roofing system.
- Energy efficiencies and environmental considerations were built into the design of the school.
- South and west windows are equipped with sun screens, projecting from the building, and the mechanical systems are built around highly efficient roof top units.