Rideau Valley Middle School
Loctation: 6680 Dorack Drive, Kars, ON
Completed: July 2011
Area: 25,000 sq.ft.
Kars, a historic riverfront village within the City of Ottawa on the Rideau Canal, has a public school and a middle school on adjacent properties.
Role and Project
Taplen was selected as the General Contractor by the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board to:
- Build a single-storey addition to the Rideau Valley Middle School
- To decommission and demolish the old Kars Public School.
Collaboration and Scope
- During construction, the site was occupied with students from both schools.
- Major tie-ins and interior renovations in the middle school were completed during the summer break.
- Site works consisted of realigning parking lots and bus loops, added capacity to the sewage and septic system, and the installation of large underground fire fighting water reservoir tanks.
- The addition is steel framed, with a flat roof, and a masonry veneer and metal siding exterior.
- The interior layout consists of 13 classrooms, a multi-purpose room, and an administration area.
An interesting challenge was the Rapid Impact Soil Densification procedure. The underlying soil was coarse loose sand, which complicates structural design to the building code. By densifying the sand to 6.0m below the footings, a conventional building design was used, rather than a heavily reinforced seismic marvel.